Introduction to Testing with PHPUnit
WEBRip | MP4/AVC, ~411 kb/s | 1152 x 720 | English: AAC, 59.9 kb/s (2 ch), 44.1 KHz | 1.49 GB
Genre: Development / Software Testing | Language: English | +Project Files
An introduction to testing your code with PHPUnit
Writing tests for modern PHP code can be intimidating for those who have never done so before, and this course is intended to remove the mystery from writing tests. We'll explore how to write tests for every part of your code – from models, to views, to controllers, and every single line of code in your application. We'll start with very simple tests, and gradually move into more complex strategies. Initially, we will write unit tests, where we test our code at a granular level. Next we move into integration testing, we we ensure that each piece of our code interacts with other components properly. Then we look at functional testing, where we automate the process of testing the end-user's experience.
The course is structured so that all students download the same codebase, and we go through the entire process from start to finish. The source code is available on a GitHub repository, and is tagged so that you have ready access to the source code as it exists for a particular lecture.
What are the requirements?
- You should have at least a basic knowledge of PHP
- You should have at least a basic understanding of Object Oriented programming principles
What am I going to get from this course?
- Over 33 lectures and 5 hours of content!
- Write unit, integration, and functional tests in PHP
- Generate code coverage reports
- Learn how to refactor code to make it more testable (and better!)
- Understand how to mock classes/objects, and why that's a good thing
- Learn how to stub classes, methods and variables
- Test controllers, models, views, and classes
- Simulate visitors to your site from within PHPUnit
- Test the functionality of every public facing page in your site
- Write tests suites that strive for 100% code coverage
What is the target audience?
- This course is intended for people with some knowledge of PHP, but little or no experience writing tests
- This course is an introduction to writing test suites. If you are looking for advanced test writing techniques, this course is probably not for you.