The Strained Wire + Garotte was created using 4 metre lengths of wire and nylon line trimmer stretched tightly over a bridge and sound board. This was struck, picked, hit with a mallet, bowed and generally tortured. A tuning turnbuckle was incorporated to allow tuning of the instrument.
The strained wire was then recorded using contact and stereo microphones. Plucked-Bowed-Mallet plays in tune over 5 octaves. Play it as a bass or guitar, deep harp or zither, rhythm, feel or melody, choose between a metal wound string sound or the plastic nylon string of the line trimmer.
The Wilberforce Atmospheres and Garotte offer soundscapes, cinematic drones and impacts and ragged textures. Patches are customisable with Modwheel's signature additional layers and with a range of effects for even more tightening and torturing.
The Library is cut up into 3 sections
18 Kontakt patches
• Wire, Gut and Nylon strung played with a mallet, pick, plucked and bowed and chromatically laid out.
• Up to 3 velocity levels and 8 round robins
• Tremolo has been assigned to the mod wheel with a speed adjustment on the front panel
• These patches also feature an effects tab that enables distortion, rotary, delay and phaser.
• 6 Kontakt patches of tortured wire FX
• Again features the effects tab which allows for further twisting.
The Wilberforce Atmospheres
• 27 Kontakt patches
• Long evolving pads and atmospheres created using the initial wire recordings.
• Some feature additional layers assigned to the mod wheel and an effects tab for further manipulation