packtpub - Cassandra Administration
- Quickly grasp the concepts behind Cassandra and understand its internal working mechanism
- Build a single node cluster into a running multi-node cluster from scratch
- Learn through clearly demonstrated steps how to administrate and manage day-to-day operations with Cassandra, including data migration, backup, restore, monitoring, and performance tuning
Who This Video Is For
If you are a beginner or intermediate architect, developer, or database administrator with basic knowledge of Linux and a general understanding of databases, this book will be great for you. Experience of Cassandra is not required.
Table of Contents
- Exploring Cassandra
- Basic Theory and Mechanism
- Prerequisites and Preinstallation Preparation
- Monitoring Cassandra
- Data Migration and Indexing
- Backup and Restore
- Performance Tuning
What You Will Learn
- Create, install, and configure a Cassandra cluster
- Use tools to monitor cluster availability and performance
- Export data into different data formats
- Use primary index and secondary indexes correctly to perform queries on data
- Backup and restore data to secure the system in the event of failure
- Tune the performance of Java Virtual Machine (JVM), caches, and compaction
- Conduct a stress test on a Cassandra cluster and interpret the performance results
- Scale in and out of a Cassandra cluster
Cassandra is the flagship product among the NoSQL databases with its distributed, fault-tolerant, extremely fast, linearly scalable, and low-cost features. These make it a high-calibre core component of the rapidly expanding cloud computing and mission critical data systems. This course shows you how to plan and prepare the right installation platform for a cluster and effectively administer Cassandra.
This quick-start video course covers administration tasks performed in real-world systems. It starts by providing you with a solid grounding in Cassandra architecture basics and then proceeds to build a single node cluster from scratch using step-by-step demonstrations. It then moves on progressively to show you how to build a completely operating multi node cluster.
This video course provides you with the necessary know-how to effectively administrate and perform operations in Cassandra. You will also get to know, from an architecture perspective, how Cassandra differs from traditional databases and other popular NoSQL databases.
The course starts off by showing you the steps to build your own cluster, and introduces you to the different use cases for Cassandra. Along the way, you will encounter caveats based on scenarios that may not be a good fit. After learning how to install Cassandra, you will learn how to use different monitoring tools and methods to import and export large amount of data. Next, primary and secondary indexes are explained to help you select the appropriate indexing that enables fast and efficient data lookup to respond to search and retrieval requests. Finally, you will use various tools to facilitate performance tuning, and conduct a stress test on a cluster, and interpret the performance results.
By the end of this course, you will have developed the required skills to install and set up any Cassandra cluster, along with administrating and managing daily operations easily.