The #1 FREE English dictionary app for Android since 2010—with over 2,000,000 definitions and synonyms from Dictionary.com & Thesaurus.com! OFFLINE access is now available!
★ Time Magazine ‘Top 10 Back-To-School App ★ Winner: CNET Top 100 Mobile App Award ★
★ Winner: Best App Ever for Books & Reference
* English Dictionary and Thesaurus—over 2,000,000 definitions, synonyms & antonyms
* Daily content including Word of the Day, blog & slideshows
* Audio pronunciations
* Idioms & phrases
* Word origin & history
* Voice search
* Favorite words
* Search history
* Spelling suggestions
* IPA and phonetic pronunciations
* Commonly looked-up words mapped to specific locations
* Medical, legal & financial content
* Abbreviations, acronyms & slang content
* Word of the Day home screen widget
* Compatible with tablet devices like the Nexus 7 & Samsung Galaxy Tab
Get the Premium Dictionary.com app to enjoy an ad-free experience with example sentences and more.
★ Highlighted Reviews in Google Play ★
“This is, by far, one of the most useful apps I’ve installed. The free dictionary and thesaurus is fast and always thorough. The achievements make it even more fun to use! I use this DAILY. Thanks!!” – Brandon M.
“Recommended! Great English dictionary app. No ridiculous advertising, minimal CPU usage. Runs perfect on evo’s, one x and plus, Samsung Note, brand Tables, and I’m sure more. Long time user.” – A Google User
“Such a great app! Way easier than opening your browser every time you need to look up a word, quick thesaurus toggle, and interesting “Word of the Day”, “Trending Searches”, and even more!” – Michelle M.
“I find this app very useful and a great resource. Having the thesaurus feature is an added bonus as I write a lot of papers. The synonym feature is great way to expand your vocabulary. The whole family enjoys it!” – Jacquita E .
“Great for looking up words in both the dictionary and thesaurus, but also has fun features like Word of the Day or interesting content like the Hot Word. Earning Mpoints makes it that much more rewarding.” – Louisa N.
“This app has made life in my law class so much easier. I’m able to understand the legal definitions provided. Much needed.”- Stanley O.
“I really enjoy this free app! I use it frequently to learn new words and to check for the correct spelling of words. I especially like to hear the pronunciation of words. This easy to use application provides concise definitions.” – A Google User
“I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the app was to use & how thorough the meanings are. I use to carry a small dictionary with me…but now I have my handy dandy phone app. Very convenient…excellent app!” – Michelle C.
“It’s an amazing free dictionary app. Allows you not only to know the definition, but also allows you a thesaurus to allow a better sense of understanding. 5 stars.” – A Google User
Fixed an issue relating to the offline database download process that was experienced by some users.
Grammar & tips content now included for free.
- Now works OFFLINE!
- Translator with over 30 languages, perfect for ESL and reliable translations into English
- New Rhyming Dictionary (available as a Premium Upgrade)
- Slang Dictionary and Idioms & Phrases (available as a Premium Upgrade)
- 850,000 Example Sentences (available as a Premium Upgrade)
Updated December 2, 2013
Current Version 4.3
Requires Android 2.2 and up
Content Rating Low Maturity